Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You think Elephants never forget anything...

We always joke about Savannah having an incredible memory, well, here's a little proof of just that...

Yesterday Savannah came to inform me that she could not find her piggy bank. When I asked why she needed it, she told me that she needed to count the money in it. I told her that we didn't need to do that right now, she replied, "a long time ago, we counted the money in my piggy bank. Remember, on the floor, and said, 1-2-3-4... We need to do that and count the money to see how much 'puz that was a long time ago."

I stopped and thought about it, and the only time that I could recall ever sitting down and counting the money in her piggy bank was in fact a LONG LONG time ago... I asked her what room we were in when we counted money and she said, "I'll show you" and took me to look at the photo of her in her bedroom in our house in American Fork. Infact, the bedroom was the one that we had her in when she was a baby but moved her out of just after she turned two, when we moved her to a larger room down the hall. The other funny thing that it I remembered taking pictures of her counting the money from her piggy bank because she just looked so cute sitting on the floor putting the coins back in, one by one. But if it was the time that I was thinking of, she couldn't possibly remeber it, could she? She must have only been about 16-18 months old at the time. No, she couldn't possibly remember that....

So, just for curiousity sake, I started looking back through my pictures today. I started with Feb 2006, when she would have been 16 moths old. No pictures there, nor in March, April or May. Okay, maybe she was older then I was thinking, maybe she could remember this experience. So I kept looking and found nothing. It couldn't possibly have been any earlier then this, could it? So I started going backwards, and guess where I found the pictures. October 28, 2005.

Savannah was 14 months old. Sure enough, she is sitting in her room, counting her money. (Not really counting, playing, but I do remember that I had tried to show her how to count.) Since this was the only time that I could think of, and I was certain that she had never seen these pictures before, I turned the computer screen off and called Savannah in. I asked her what she remembered and she again told me about being on the floor, counting money in her old, old room. I turned the computer scrren back on and said "is this what you remember?" She looked at the picture for a minute and then said "where's my crib?" I was shocked. Not only did she rememeber the setting, but she knew it well enought to know that the picture didn't look right. In the picture that I showed her, the futon that was in her room for a short time was behind her. When you look at the rest of the pictures, you can see that she was facing towards the crib, so that would have been what she would remember.

Isn't that wierd. I know that this was a very long story, but I really wanted to get it written down more for my sake then for anyone else. But as long as I was writting it down anyway, I thought I may as well remind you what an amazing kid I have! (Now if we could just get her to remember things like how to spell her name....)

No comments:

Post a Comment